Shelby Park and Bottoms are adjoining and complementary greenspaces encompassing 1,300 acres lying within the floodplain, bluffs and rolling hills bordering the Cumberland River in East Nashville. First established as a public park in 1912, what has become the Park/Bottoms complex features a variety of natural and manmade resources–water systems, archaeological and environmental preserves, two golf courses, football and baseball fields, tennis and ball courts, community and nature centers, picnic shelters, paved multi-use paths and primitive trails–that provide a broad range of educational and recreational opportunities for a diverse group of users. Park and Bottoms also serve as a vital segment in the regional system of greenways intended to link all of Davidson County by means of a recreational and alternative transportation corridor.
In 2009, Metro Parks -- along with hundreds of neighbors, stakeholders and interest groups -- embarked on a first-ever master planning process for Shelby Park. The resulting vision for the park will guide future investments in this important civic space, and maximize the park's potential. The Friends of Shelby are excited to be involved in this transformational effort. Find out more about the Shelby Park Master Plan here.