Shelby Bottoms Blackberry Recipe Contest
Summer is blackberry season in Shelby Bottoms!
The delicious berries can be found along trails throughout the park and are a delight for visitors of all ages. In celebration of this sweet and tart favorite, Friends of Shelby is inviting the community to submit their very favorite, or their most ambitious, blackberry recipe for a chance to win some excellent prizes. The first-place recipe winner will receive ultimate bragging rights when the recipe is featured on the weekly menu at Lockeland Table, one of East Nashville’s top restaurants.
And the Winner Is!
Thanks to everyone who participated in the 2020 contest. While we couldn't taste the entries this year, they all looked delicious. The grand prize winner is mother-daughter team Allison and Kat with their Blackberry Balsamic Baguette. Look for it on the menu at Lockeland Table starting Friday, July 17.
- Create a recipe using fresh blackberries
- Post a picture and the recipe on Instagram or Facebook between Friday, July 3 and Friday, July 10.
- The post should tag Friends of Shelby @friendsofshelby and 2 friends you'd like to share the recipe with.
- You can also tag the farm or market where you got the berries!
- If you are not on social media you may submit a picture and written recipe to [email protected]
- One entry per person. Make the tough choice and choose your best!
Recipes will be judged based on
- Photographic presentation
- Recipe originality
- Use of blackberries
- The winners will be picked on Saturday 7/11 and announced the next week.
- Winning recipes will be announced on social media and posted on the Friends of Shelby website.
Thanks to the tremendous support from our partners, we have some amazing prizes for all our winners.
- First Place: The contestant with the winning recipe will enjoy supreme bragging rights when their recipe is featured on the menu at Lockeland Table. Additionally, they will win a $50 gift card to Lockeland Table, and 2 pints of blackberries from Delvin Farms.
- Second Place: This contestant will win an East Nashvillian Shelby Bottoms t-shirt, a bottle of wine (if contestant is over 21 years of age), a jar of Shelby Bottoms honey, and a Shelby Park and Bottoms water bottle.
- Third Place: This contestant wins a $16 gift card from Sweet 16th Bakery, a jar of Shelby Bottoms honey, and a Friends of Shelby T-shirt.
- Cara Graham - Lockeland Table
- Lisa McCaully – Editor, East Nashvillian Magazine
- Ronald Gooch - Friends of Shelby Park and Bottoms Board Member
- Hank Delvin - Delvin Farms
- Dan and Ellen Einstein - Sweet 16th Bakery
More information, email [email protected]
Where To Find Local Blackberries
You can find blackberries at the East Nashville Farmers Market and local farms including
Circle S Farm
This eighth-generation farm at 1627 E. Old Laguardo Road in Lebanon has blackberries and blueberries and has picking seven days a week. 615-405-6860 or tncirclesfarms.com.
Jon and Pat Kelley's Cumberland River farm at 50 Riverview Estates Lane in Castalian Springs has lots of blueberries and offers picking every day but Sunday for the next few weeks. 615-633-7447 or kelleysberries.com.
Bottom View Farm
Bottom View, at 185 Wilkerson Lane in Portland, has blueberries and blackberries. There is also a breakfast and lunch restaurant and ice cream shop and small playground. Closed on Sunday. 615- 325-7017 or bottomviewfarm.com.
If you do pick berries in the park, please be courteous and follow these guidelines:
Rules for picking in the Shelby Bottoms
- Each individual or family may harvest one pint.
- Be a responsible picker– pick during the times of day that are not as HOT.
- ABSOLUTELY NO off trail picking or cutting the bushes!
Thank you to our contest partners